Conductor Martyn Brabbins celebrated his 60th birthday in fine fashion: with a new commission for 14 composers to create their own set of orchestral variations on an anonymous theme, mirroring the shape of Elgar’s Enigma Variations. Programme notes from the composers illustrated a genuine fondness for the great conductor, and their perceptions of him – energy, warmth, generosity, humour and virtuosity – shone through in an impressively unified work.
- Beverley Knight: ‘I’m a black Fairy Godmother, for all the little girls who look like me’
- ‘Galleries are safe, but visitors need to feel that’: can the Royal Academy survive without funding?
- Can the Tate galleries survive in an era of mass Covid fear?
- Andrew Lloyd Webber’s vaccine joy: ‘Phantom will return in June’
- ‘The vaccine is a start, but it’s not a magic wand’
- Can't wait! #scd #strictly twitter.com/julietmusical/… 4 hours ago
- @pamibells Hope he's next week... 4 hours ago
- @lally55p Ooh fab! I loved the West End revival a few years back #scd #strictly 4 hours ago