As British summer really kicks in (umbrellas at the ready), our thoughts might turn fondly to the sunny Caribbean. Good timing, then, for the return of Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty’s 1990 musical set in the French Antilles. Based on Rosa Guy’s novel, it tells a familiar tale of boundary-crossing lovers – The Little Mermaid meets Romeo and Juliet – though with some location-specific details that give it fresh interest.
- Beverley Knight: ‘I’m a black Fairy Godmother, for all the little girls who look like me’
- ‘Galleries are safe, but visitors need to feel that’: can the Royal Academy survive without funding?
- Can the Tate galleries survive in an era of mass Covid fear?
- Andrew Lloyd Webber’s vaccine joy: ‘Phantom will return in June’
- ‘The vaccine is a start, but it’s not a magic wand’
- Can't wait! #scd #strictly twitter.com/julietmusical/… 5 hours ago
- @pamibells Hope he's next week... 5 hours ago
- @lally55p Ooh fab! I loved the West End revival a few years back #scd #strictly 5 hours ago